Role of different hormones in reproduction
· Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH): It induces growth of follicles (and eggs contained in them, normally one egg per follicle) from small to mature ones.
· Luteinizing Hormone (LH): This hormone has an important role in maturation and release of eggs.
· Oestradiol (Oestrogen): It is produced from the growing follicle. Oestradiol level is higher when the follicle is bigger and good quality.
· Progesterone: It creates a suitable environment for embryo implantation or for pregnancy to settle in the womb.
· Prolactin: Prolactin level is found to be higher in breastfeeding women. Certain conditions like chronic stress, thyroid function problems and certain small tumours in the brain called prolactinomas can commonly elevate the prolactin level, which might interfere with ovulation or releasing the eggs.
· Anti-Müllerian hormone (AMH): This hormone is one of the best tests to evaluate ovarian reserve. It is nearly universally tested before starting fertility treatments including assisted conception or IVF.