Obesity is a complex health condition that involves combination of causes, and they are:
· Consuming excess calories and overeating: Excess eating, especially a fat-rich diet, often results in weight gain.
· Living a sedentary lifestyle: Lack of physical activity contributes to obesity. Desk jobs, no or little physical activity, availability of modern amenities like washing machines, dishwashers, etc. have made people less active.
· Lack of sleep: Less sleep increases the risk of obesity.
· Genetics: Genes play an important role in development of obesity. Specific genetic traits inherited from parents may be responsible for obesity and in these cases, it becomes more difficult to lose weight.
· Medications: Various medications, including antidepressants, diabetes medications, etc., may cause obesity.