You are browsing content specific to your location, some treatments may not be available:
Genetic Disorders and Infertility
1. Is there a link between genetic disorders and infertility?Yes, many genetic disorders are known to cause infertility. Usually, it leads to abnormal/ aneuploid embryos leading to infertility/repeated IVF failures.
2. What’s the best way to tackle infertility due to genetic disorders?Preimplantation genetic testing (PGT) can help detect genetic abnormalities in embryos created through IVF before they are transferred to the uterus. This can help select embryos that are free from the suspected genetic disorder. It can actually help you to eradicate genetic disorders from the family.
3. Can genetic disorders cause infertility in both women and men?Cystic fibrosis, Y chromosome microdeletions, Klinefelter syndrome, Noonan syndrome, and translocations are genetic disorders that can cause infertility in both men and women. Medical interventions like IVF can help in some cases, but in others, donor sperm or eggs may be the only option.
4. What is the most common treatment option for infertility linked to genetic disorders?IVF (in-vitro fertilization), along with PGT, is a preferred treatment option for infertility in the case of a genetic disorder. This can help them to select genetically normal embryos.
5. Is genetic counselling beneficial for couples going through infertility?Yes, genetic counselling can help couples understand the reasons for infertility. It can help assess their risk of passing on genetic disorders to their children and discuss their options for treatment. Such counselling also helps with decision-making and provides emotional support.